Wednesday, April 11, 2007

So it goes.

My roommate just gave me some extremely sad news: Kurt Vonnegut died today. He was one of my favorite authors, and a one-time resident of Iowa City, working at the Writer's Workshop at the University of Iowa. I'm assuming there are going to be plenty of blog posts with this same title and subject matter, it just shows how influential and incredible Mr. Vonnegut was. I recommend everyone go out, buy copies of Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, Sirens of Titan, Player Piano, and Breakfast of Champions to start, then might as well just finish off his collection. Good stuff, all around.



November 11, 1922 - April 11, 2007

“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’ ”

-Kurt Vonnegut in God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

2 comments:

H said...

Your Kurt Vonnegut post was much better than the one I was going to attempt to write, so I'm not going to attempt to write it at all and am just going to be sad.

Jad said...

I was going to break the music-only posting mold at Three Pints but, now that I've seen your post, I'm just going to link to you.

Great post, thanks Flenker. Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater are among my favourite novels.