Saturday, April 28, 2007

Damn Good Times

I'm sitting here reflecting on a beautiful day in Iowa City, and also on a perfectly mixed Tom Collins, listening to Rock Plaza Central. Times like this make me feel that life is good. After the constant rain that we had during the week (not that I minded), some days of sun and warmth are welcome. I worked 7-3 today, which is not a bad shift at all. Sure I get up early, but it's nothing I can't handle. And the day goes by quickly. Plus, I was working with some good kids, that's always nice. Afterwards, I followed the NFL Draft a little while, took a short nap, and went for a walk. People were out in full force, soaking in the last rays of light, eating in the recently re-opened outdoor cafes of the local restaurants, and just having a good old time. I stopped by Oasis and had a delicious falafel, then came home to chum it up with my roommates. Daren's band, Raccoo-oo-oon, is playing a show tonight, which I will be heading to shortly. I figured a night like this can only be topped off with a cool drink, and what is more refreshing after a warm day than Mr. Collins?

Tomorrow's looking like it'll be a fine day, temps in the 80's, sunny, and not a lick of work in sight. I may hit up the frisbee golf course with my buddy, do some grilling, and maybe try to catch a matinee of Hot Fuzz. Now I'm really living. If I can fit it in, I'll head to Three Samurai to hit up the all-day sushi happy hour. Damn, that is sounding like a mighty fine day. I hope everyone else is having such good times with their own weekends. If not, I'm sorry. I don't want to rub this in your face. But really, I can't help but gloat. My weekend should be put in the Iowa City Chamber of Commerce's brochures about the city. People would come. Just have a picture of me on the front, all smiling with one hand in the "thumbs up" position and the other holding a cool cocktail (umbrella optional, it can be photoshopped in if warranted).

4 comments:

Lucy Doughty said...

sounds like your soundtrack will include "Mr. E's Beautiful Blues"

Anonymous said...

Flenker-

You are all kinds of fun... I need to head to Iowa City some time--you make it sound more enticing than I ever imagined it could be...

That said, you have to head to the 3-1-2 some time, too. Except not in the dead of summer because it's inundated with tourists and hotter than the Hell. Probably literally.

--Minty

Jad said...

That Tom Collins looks really good...

Anonymous said...

I should let you know that I'm slightly famous in that way. I was actually on the brochure that encased the map for the University of Illinois (and was on the website for quite some time). I looked horrible but apparently they enjoyed the conversation my friends and I were having. I had a pony tail . . .and glasses on. . . And I'll give you two bonus points if you can tell me what movie that's from! ;)