Sunday, April 01, 2007

The Sports Guy

Since espn.com has made all of Bill Simmons' archived articles available (alliteration!) without being an "Insider" subscriber, I've been reading them all day. Some of my favorites are about the brawls in baseball, the Unintentional Comedy Rating scale, the Vengeance Scale, the Ewing Theory, and the Levels of Losing. If you're a sports fan and/or a pop culture fan, you should find at least some of these articles entertaining. I've liked Simmons for a while, even though he's a huge homer for all Boston-area sports teams and doesn't like Big Ten basketball, I still read his articles and usually catch myself laughing at loud. If you get a chance, look up his mailbags, articles were he responds to the email that he gets from readers. Usually some high comedy. (I think I get some of the phrases I use from Simmons, like "high comedy" or "good times." Also my writing style may be influenced by him, if I had a writing style.)

Today is one of my favorite holidays. That's right, it's Opening Day! The Mets take on the Cardinals tonight, and then tomorrow almost all other teams start their seasons. The Red Sox are in Kansas City; unfortunately I am not. I'm going to have to try to find the game on the radio, but since it's the Red Sox, maybe the Royals will actually be on TV! I'll have to check that out. Tonight's game will be watched from work, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'll be getting paid, and usually Sunday nights are not the busiest of nights. Of course, now that I've said that, we'll be swamped all night long. But I've seen the first pitch of the first game for who knows how long, even the games that started around 3 or 4 am CST, when they were played in Japan. I woke up, made some hot dogs, and watched some baseball. Good times! I don't think I'll be able to have a hot dog this time, maybe I could pack on in a lunch bag. . . I'm actually seriously considering that now. I'm so smart!

Anyways, I'm off to the showers. I'll try to have a more comprehensive review of last night's concert after work tonight, but we'll see how I'm feeling. I usually get a little emotional after the first game of the season, I just hope I can control the tears of joy after the first pitch tonight. And I wish I was joking.

No comments: