Monday, June 04, 2007

4th of June?

Why does the 4th of July have to fall on a Wednesday this year? Doesn't it know that having a holiday in the middle of the week just makes it that much harder to make plans with people who have "real jobs"?

You see, almost every year for the past 6 or 7 years or so, some of my friends from my days at Iowa State get together for a few days of having fun. Last year it didn't happen, because I went to DC during that week. (And let me tell you, if you ever have the chance, to go the fireworks in DC. Marin and I watched them being shot off over the Washington Monument from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. Pretty incredible scene.) We also play home run derby every year, and last time we played the Trivial Pursuit game that I referred to in the last paragraph here. (It was also when Heinricy came up with the line "We're sleeping in teams!" about our sleeping arrangements. Good times!) This year I'm going to have to figure out when we're getting together, either the weekend before or the weekend after. The weekend before has the Iowa City Jazz Festival. Both weekends have home games by the Swing of the Quad Cities. I guess we'll have to see which works out better for everyone. H has already said that she and Bill won't be able to make it the weekend before, so that may necessitate a move to the weekend after the 4th. It all depends on Jimbo and Charczuk. We'll have to start planning this now, though, since people will be traveling from all around. Hopefully it'll all come together and we'll have a good time. I'm optimistic.

3 comments:

mist1 said...

Last year, I spent the 4th of July in another country. There were no fireworks. I thought that was just downright unpatriotic. Didn't they know that there were Americans in their fine country?

The Boob Lady said...

Okay, I'll bite..

Here in Canada, Canada Day falls on July 1st as it does every year. This year, however, it falls on a Sunday. Turns out that shit is going to be open (ie: I work) and that Monday is going to be recognized as the Stat holiday.

This, my friend, blows.

charczuk said...

Well, I guess we broke tradition, but we're halfway to starting it back up again...