Thursday, February 15, 2007

Spring Break! Woo!

I've been trying to decide on what I would like to do for Spring Break this year. Initially, I planned out a trip to Austin, TX, to see my good friend Adam (a.k.a. "Big Texas," a.k.a. "Johnny Austin") and maybe catch some bands that are in town for SxSW, but Adam will be in Ohio during the duration of my would-be vacation, catching some NCAA tournament action. Certainly I cannot blame him for that. My next thought was to go out to Arizona and hit up a week's worth of Spring Training games, and stay with my aunt and uncle that live out there. And this is still a viable option, but my family members wouldn't be able to get work off while I'm there, and transportation would be a little problem. I'm not sure if I would want to rent a car, and from what little research I've done, there's not a whole lot in the way of public transportation. Other thoughts have crossed my mind, but in each one, I find flaws. I would love love love to go to Cooperstown, NY for the Baseball Hall of Fame, but there's no way to fly directly to Cooperstown, and the nearest cities with airports are over an hour's drive away, I believe. Then I entertained the thought of going to Vegas, but as it's been pointed out to me, that might not be a place that I would want to go on my own. Accompaniment to set up a system of checks and balances would probably be required. I'd really like to go to Canada, just for fun, but recent laws were passed so a passport is required to go anywhere outside of the US, and I really don't feel like spending nearly $200 to get a passport expedited, just so I could go the land of maple and "ey." Plus, isn't the point of Spring Break to go in search of warmer climes?

My other option, one that I have been kind of leaning towards, has been making a tour of the Midwest, hitting Minneapolis and Kansas City and maybe some places in-between. I'd love to go to Chicago, too, but only have a few aquantences there, not the good friends that I have in the other cities. And it's a little out-of-the-way from my other destinations. If only Spring Break were a month later, I could see baseball much closer to home.

No comments: