Thursday, February 15, 2007

In Heaven, there is no beer

Just got back from the Iowa/Northwestern basketball game, a 66-58 victory for the Hawkeyes. The best part about it? I got in for free! The game was scheduled for last night, but the weather in Evansville was too dangerous for the team to leave or something. So it was re-scheduled for tonight as a doubleheader with the women's team, and they let students in for free! I debated going sticking around for the women's game, but the warm-ups were too excruciating for me, so I hit the trails. Haluska had 29 points to go along with 6 rebounds, Tyler "the stud" Smith had 13 and 4 while playing in foul trouble, Kurt Looby had a pretty dunk, and the Hawks overcame their slow start. Seth "I was a teenage caveman" Gorney had a pretty quiet game, as did his only friend on the team, J.R. Angle. I washed down a hot dog with a medium diet coke, and for dessert, had my twist soft-serve ice cream cone that I get at every game. Well, at least I've gotten it in each game I've gone to in the past two years. Both of them. All in all, a good time was had by me. I actually really enjoy going to sporting events on my own, it lets me wander around, take everything in, and act like everyone's friend. Although going with some friends to a game that everyone is excited about is also pretty awesome. aren't sports great? The biggest downside of the night? Smith's haircut. I liked the mini-fro thing he had going before, and didn't even recognize him at first, I thought I was getting my numbers wrong. But nope. #34 shaved his head. Hey, I guess if he likes it, that's cool. I'm sure it'll grow on me. Especially if he sticks around Iowa City for a few more years. He can wear his hair however he likes.

In my last entry, I said I was going to be heading to 3 concerts in Minneapolis, but didn't even list them!!! I guess I was too excited about the fact that I had made up my mind that I forgot to mention them. So I think I'll be seeing The Faint on Monday, March 12, then Tv on the Radio on either March 14 or 15, they have two shows, and then Of Montreal on the 16th! That's the one I'm most excited about, I saw them here in Iowa City in August and thouroughly enjoyed the show, even if the average age of the crowd was 7 years my junior. I'm getting used to that now. I guess The Faint show is the one I'm least excited about, but I used to like them, and think it's pretty fun seeing them. I guess it depends on how I'm feeling after celebrating Selection Sunday.

Something else that I didn't mention the other day was that my favorite espn.com writer, Bill Simmons, mentioned watching the Wisconsin/Iowa bball game this past week, but it was mostly to talk about Alando Tucker. Which is fine, he's good I guess. But, he did say he liked my current mancrush, Tyler Smith. I can't find the actual site right now, but it's there. If you've never read any of Simmons' stuff, you should. I usually end up laughing out loud (lol) a few times per article, even if he's typing with a mouthful of Tom Brady.

Anyways, time to head to my bro's to play in our NCAA Football Dynasty. After running Boise State into the ground, I decided to hit eject before I was in a tangled mess of sheet metal and flames. Based soley on the nickname, I chose to take over the UAB Blazers' program, and am currently riding a 6 game losing streak. Those 6 games also happened to be the first 6 games of the season. I think Coach Red Scare is packing his bags, the Birmingham natives have been sharpening their pitchforks and readying the masses.

1 comment:

H said...

TYLER SMITH SHAVED HIS HEAD?! I love love LOVED his hair before...but you're right, if we get to keep him, he can wear his hair however.

I also like your reference to Seth "I was a teenage caveman" Gorney, which rolls off the tongue and is a lot funnier than Seth "I'm 45" Gorney, which is what I usually say.