Saturday, February 17, 2007

A meditation on dinner

I will not comment on todays Hawkeye game except to say that it made me feel sick. Haley summed up my feelings pretty well. (I did know who Josh Crawford was, only because that's what I do. I know way too much about things that I probably shouldn't, like the name of a player behind Looby and Gorney and Tate. That and living in Iowa City makes it a little easier to follow the teams, and to recognize a player's name. If I ran into him on the street or in between classes, I wouldn't be able to instantly give his name, but I would probably be able to guess he's a basketball player. There aren't too many near-seven footers around these parts.) I may talk more about the state of Hawkeye sports in the near future, but for now, the memory of today's game is too fresh.

I've been trying to decide what I would like to eat tonight for dinner... Today was pretty much a waste of a day, I shoveled the sidewalks, watched the game, played NCAA Football, then came home and napped. Now I'm realizing that the only things I've had to eat have been a cookie and a few Sweethearts, so my sugar consumption is right on, but anything of substance is noticeably missing. What I should do is go to the store, buy some groceries, and come home and make a wonderful dinner for myself. But what I should do and what I want to do, and will most likely end up doing, are two different things. See, going all the way to the store, shopping, then coming home and slaving over a stove just doesn't sound like fun right now. I love cooking, a lot, but right now I'm kinda drowsy, kinda cranky, and really hungry. "So go do something about it already," you say. "Don't blog about it, we don't really care." (I probably should have used "I don't really care," because the one person reading this probably doesn't speak using the royal we, but I would like to delude myself into thinking that there are a number of people sitting, staring at their computer screens, reading my stupid thoughts on a Saturday night.) Well that's where my excellent decision make process comes in. Or I should say lack thereof. I'm telling myself I want to stay away from fast food, but it's looking like an only option. I napped my way through most of the normal dining hours for other establishments, so no tasty falafel tonight. And if I keep at this, most other places will close, leaving only fast food. I'm thinking of walking downtown and hitting up Pita Pit. Yeah, that's what I'll do. Thanks blog! You've helped me out of a tight situation!

No comments: