Friday, February 23, 2007

fashion smashion

Since the two people that I actually know read this usually do so during the day, while they should most likely be working, I decided I'd throw one more update in tonight so they'll have something to do tomorrow. You guys are lucky I'm in such a charitable mood. (really, I'm just avoiding sleep for some reason.)

I just finished up watching The Departed. Pretty good flick, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that likes a bloody action/suspense movie. Or Leonardo DiCaprio. It gets pretty intense at times. It doesn't crack my list of movies to the right, my top whatever, but it's a solid film. I will, however, be rooting against it for best picture this weekend. I'm hoping that title will go to Little Miss Sunshine.

Speaking of the Oscars, I just realized I have no where to watch the awards show. It's not that big of a deal, I won't be throwing a party, or making bets, or even really caring too much about most of the awards. But, it would be nice to see the big ones, best actor, best actress, best director, best picture, etc. (I realize those should all probably be capitalized, but it's late, and really, that's a lot of shifting, and my pinkie is still sore from whatever I did to it, so any shifting that may be optional in my mind is out.) I could just go to the IMU, I'm sure they'll have it on there. Or go over to my brother's place and use one of their many televisions. And I can drink there without the stigma of drinking in a public, university building. And it's much much closer. Looks like that problem is solved.

My next problem is that I'm totally oblivious to fashion. (I am the king of segues!) As I posted last week, I was thinking about getting a new pair of pants. Well, that finally came to fruition today, in the form of two new pairs (for $30 total)! One khaki, one that's kinda darker brown with lighter brown pinstripes. At least I think that's what it looks like. It's in the wash right now (the real reason I'm still up. I don't want my new pants and my shirts to get wrinkled. I should've started laundry before 11:30 tonight.) Now my situation is that I don't know what shirts go with the pants, or what tie I should wear or anything like that. I do know that I should wear a brown belt and brown shoes with either pair, and apparently stay away from black. (why can't brown and black go together? I kind of like the way they look. If I even notice, which I don't. But if I were to ever wear brown and black, I'm sure I would never hear the end of it. Mostly from girls at work. I don't know how they know these things and I don't, I must've missed that section in the "How to Properly Dress Yourself" pamphlet that everyone was handed.) But, do both my light and darker blue shirts go with both pairs of pants? What about my forest green shirt (my personal favorite. I look good in green, so I'm told) with either pair? I think green goes with brown. It seems to work for trees, why can't it work for me? I feel earthy wearing those colors. I would assume white goes with anything, so I could wear that shirt with either. But I guess I would assume black goes with anything too. I mean, neither one of them are really colors, are they? White is the absence of color, black is an overabundance, right? Why must this be such a big deal? There should be someone knowledgeable about such things posted in the clothing stores, just so people like me can ask these questions. Or at least have a copy of the pamphlet handy.

2 comments:

H said...

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/wardrobebasics/Wardrobe_Basics.htm

Did I find the link for you. I'm not good with guys' fashion, really Bill is a better person to ask for obvious reasons, but you're right: don't mix brown and black. And white does go with anything, but black doesn't. At least in my opinion. If you were a girl this would be so much easier, but you're not so follow the link above and click and read and learn.

Anonymous said...

Actually Black and khaki go together. And a personal fan of black and khaki. However, if it's a super dark khaki almost brown, don't go with black. They have actually started pairing blacks and dark browns together as of last season, not sure why. Any of the other shirts should work. I like blues and browns together anyway. But truth be told, it's really hard to actually give fashion advice without actually seeing said clothes to begin with.