Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Here we go again...

So, this is my new "blog" for the "new era of Chris," as I like to call it. I got the name from a lyric that struke me this past weekend in the song "Hospital Vespers" by the Weakerthans, my favorite band from the Great White North. Here are the lyrics to the song in their entirety:

Doctors played your dosage like a card-trick. Scrabbled down the hallways yelling "Yahtzee!" I brought books on Hopper, and the Arctic, something called "The Politics of Lonely," a toothbrush and a quick-pick with the plus. You tried not to roll your sunken eyes, and said "Hey can you help me, I can't reach it." Pointed at the camera in the ceiling. I climbed up, blocked it so they couldn't see. Turned to find you out of bed, and kneeling. Before the nurses came, took you away, I stood there on a chair and watched you pray.

And, being the discourageable sort, I was discouraged to find that there is no actual book called "The Politics of Lonely," however it is apparently a chapter title in a book. About some Arctic explorer. But, I liked the phrase nonetheless, so, might as well make it the title of my little spot on this internet. I feel that it fits my current position in life, that position being more interested in politics of late, and lonely. And maybe not lonely lonely, but lonely for posterity's sake. (is that how posterity is supposed to be used? I'm not sure, but it sounded good to me, so it'll stay like that. I feel like it's a word I should properly know how to use, though. Also, I like using asides like this. You'll probably see a lot of them if I continue to post. And if you actually are reading this. So the three of you, you'll know that I like to use parenthetical asides in my life story. Or whatever this could be called. Life summation? whatever.)

Anyways, my new found interest in politics is mainly due to that charismatic senator from our neighbor to the east, Barack Obama. I'm reading his book The Audacity of Hope, thanks to my friend Haley (Haley is Bill's girlfriend. Bill is one of my best friends. Thus, by the transitive property of friendship, or TPF, Haley has become one of my friends. And even if it weren't for the TPF, I would like to think I'd still be friends with Haley. Assuming I would've met her. I don't know why I'm explaining all of this here. She's probably the only one reading this. Maybe Bill, too.), and his stock keeps rising in my book. (I don't really have a book [yet], that's just an expression. Kind of like "for posterity's sake." You like how I double-parenthesized there? Brackets baby. They're not just for March anymore!) Of course, I was already a fan of his, having seen him speak here in the IC (don't call it that) for Chet Culver in November. Plus, I think my cousin's son, I believe that would make him my second cousin, looks a lot like what I picture Sen. Obama looking like at age 11.

Now this is not my first foray into the "blogosphere," as it were. I had one that I started a few months back, probably in June or July, posted 3 times, and gave up for one reason or another. But, things change, and I'm back. I didn't feel it appropriate to continue the old one, so here I am. I'm hoping to keep this one updated at least once a week, ideally more than that, maybe every other/every third day. Depends on if anything happens in my life. I guess if nothing else, I could use this as a way to review or report on books, movies, music, etc., that I encounter. Comments are always welcome, if anyone reads this.

I haven't thought of any catchy sign-off line or anything like that yet. Give me a few days, I'll come up with something. Until then, have fun.

1 comment:

H said...

I am so excited that you are back on the blogosphere. I am also jealous that you are a much better writer than I am, but then again, my five-year-old cat is a much better writer than I am, so I really should stop trying to compare myself to everyone else.

I would also like to think that you and I, even without the Intervention of Bill (not that I am in any way complaining about Bill's intervention) would have become friends. We might be opposites, but I think we work well together.

Happy blogging! =)