Thursday, October 04, 2007

King of Kong

The Alamo Drafthouse was showing King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, so I was not about to miss a documentary about arcade games, especially if beer and fried foods were involved.

This was my first trip to the Drafthouse, a theater that has a full menu that is served throughout the duration of the movie, including beer. I ordered myself a locally brewed brown ale and some jalepeno poppers, and made myself comfortable. The previews before the movie were for video game related movies like Tron, The Last Starfighter, and The Wizard, as well as commercials for old Atari games, and a clip from the live action Mario Brothers show. It was like a trip through my childhood.

The movie itself was excellent, documenting the trials and tribulations of attempting to break the Donkey Kong world record score, and the lifestyle of those involved.



On a personal note, there were a lot of scenes that were filmed in Iowa, specifically Fairfield and Ottumwa, towns that I used to drive through about every other week, and locations that I recognized from driving past. So that was neat. (Walter, the guy in the referee outfit lives in Fairfield, as does the guy wearing the Doom shirt.)

Even if you don't have that personal tie-in, or didn't spend all of your quarters at an arcade, this is still a great movie that will entertain, maybe my 2nd-favorite documentary, behind Wordplay. If you get the chance, see it! This gets four-and-a-half Flenker Thumbs Up!











In the coming week, there will probably be at least two more movies that I'm very excited to be seeing. First up is The Final Season, another movie filmed in Iowa, about the Norway High School baseball team. It opens on Friday the 12th, but there is going to be a free screening of it here on Tuesday!! Then, on the 12th, Wes Anderson's newest film, The Darjeeling Limited, is released. The Drafthouse will be getting that one as well, and will be having a special menu of Indian food. I will not be missing that!

6 comments:

Christa said...

i know i've commented on this before, but your flenker thumbs up system is the funniest.

H said...

I do love the Flenker thumbs up.

Not to rain on your Iowa baseball parade, but the movie is about the NorWAY High School baseball team, not NorWALK. Easy mistake to make. I am looking forward to The Darjeeling Limited as well, although I am rather disappointed that we don't have any theatres like the Drafthouse!

Whiskeymarie said...

Holy cow, there seems to be a ton of good movies coming out.
Thank you for screening them for us, my dear.
;)

charczuk said...

I also am excited about The Darjeeling Limited. Did you see how I stumbled on your blog? Searched for my own name. Just some FYI...now I have a blog...thanks.

Hannita said...

I had heard about this movie on NPR. It sounds like fun.

Flenker said...

christina - It means a lot that you like it! I guess I'll keep doing it

h - I don't know how many times I've made that mistake. Usually I catch it, but every once in a while, it slips. It's fixed now, though

whiskey - It's my pleasure!

charczuk - you should actually put something up there so I can read it. And thanks for kicking my ass this weekend in our fantasy football league.

hannita - it was a lot of fun!