Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm a rice pudding guy, myself

Friday night I caught a late showing of the movie I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With, a movie in which Jeff Garland (he plays Larry David's agent on Curb Your Enthusiasm) not only starred, but he wrote and directed as well. It was kind of funny, earlier in the day Bill had sent me a link to this trailer:



and then later in the day, I was flipping through the newspaper, and saw that it was showing at a theater in town! How lucky could I be? It was a late show, so I didn't have to deal with traffic, I parked in a ramp, but got my ticket validated for 3 hours, so free parking! It was turning out to be a good night. And the movie didn't disappoint.

The cast is great, including Sarah Silverman, Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson himself), Amy Sedaris, Bonnie Hunt, Dakota Fanning's younger sister Elle, and Phyllis from The Office. The movie takes place in Chicago, where James (Garland) is a down-on-his-luck actor, living with his mom, lacking a love life, just basically struggling at everything. But I guess if you watched the trailer, you already knew that information.

One thing that I was surprised with was the length - this movie lasted just over an hour, although it felt longer. Not in a bad way, I enjoyed it the whole time. I was just amazed that I was getting out of the theater with a little less than 2 hours left of free parking time. I don't really know if I'd want the movie to be longer, it could be one of those situations where if something is added, it could detract from the experience. I guess a better ending would've been nice, but the ending that it has isn't terrible. It fits, but feels kind of cheap. Not enough to make me dislike the movie, though. The movie fit my mood almost perfectly, and left me feeling really good about my choice to see it. That's why I'm giving this movie 4 Flenker Thumbs Up, in spite of the its title ending in a proposition.

2 comments:

Hannita said...

I just want somebody with whom I can eat cheese? Very awkward despite being correct grammatically.

Whiskeymarie said...

I forgot about this movie. I may have to see if it's playing anywhere this weekend. Thanks for the review, F!