Thursday, September 20, 2007

Still wandering around

Things in Texas have been going well. I'm starting to learn my way around a little, today I was able to drive from the grocery store to the apartment without the use of any navigational items, a small victory for myself. That was after I was trying to find an eatery called "Fast Dogs", something that came up on Adam's Garmin (a neato GPS thing). I assumed that a place called "Fast Dogs" would be a hot dog-type vendor, seeing as how it came up under the Food header. So I set off, anxious to see what sort of hot dogs I'd be eating, what sort of tasty toppings were available, and just really, cause I wanted to see what "Fast Dogs" was all about. Unfortunately, no such place existed. The GPS had me driving around a residential neighborhood, where the closest thing to what I was looking for was a "Beware of dogs" sign. I thought about knocking on the door to see if they happened to have any franks on the grill, but decided against it. In search of food I went, this time without consulting any sort of gizmo, just driving in the general direction of home. And much to my delight, I found a Mexican place (that I cannot recall the name of right now, I know it started with a T and had a Q in it, but that's about it. I could find it again, that's all that matters) along the way. I was a little surprised to find the menu mostly in Spanish, but I figured that it was a good sign, and ordered a burrito and quesadilla without too much trouble. And holy, cow, this was some good food, the burrito was about the size of my face, and the quesadilla was dripping with cheese, just how I like them! All in all, I'm glad that I was eating that instead of a hot dog.

My other exciting news is that I've gotten a job! I'm going to be giving private lessons on saxophone and guitar in the Austin area. I'm pretty pumped about it, but I'm going to start off taking it a little easy with just a few students, and see how it goes. It's probably not anything that will turn into a career, but it's an income, and doing something that I've been doing for years now. There are a couple of leads on other jobs that may become available to me, but for now, this will be something that I think I'll enjoy.

Well, I'm off to play some more online Scrabble. H, I'm sorry that I keep getting the 7-letter words against you, but don't worry, it's not just you.

3 comments:

Christa said...

don't all mexican restaurants have a T and a Q in the name?

man. i miss online scrabble. i haven't played in ages. ...

Flenker said...

christina - I'm pretty sure they all do. And I have no idea how to pronounce any of them. Also, check the comment I left on your blog, online scrabble may be in your future. . . :)

Captain Crab said...

The best way to order at a Mexican restaurant is to just find something that you think you can pronounce and order. Sometimes good, sometimes not. But always exciting.