Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

I wanted to take this chance to wish all of you dads out there a fun Fathers Day! Hopefully you're not getting rained on, for any planned barbecues or outdoor activities that you had planned.

I also wanted to thank my dad, for being such a great dude and putting up with me all these years. For taking me to my first baseball game in '85, my first Hawkeye game earlier than that, for showing me how to really fall in love with a team, following them through every turn, savoring the victories and graciously accepting the losses. Those days so long ago playing football in our yard, my brother versus me, with my dad being the all-time quarterback for both teams, were some of the happiest days I've had. As were the days when he would pitch to us, I would giggle as I "stole" second base, but he'd never pick me off. And for as much as I laughed the time I rocketed the whiffle ball back at his face, knocking off his glasses, I still feel kind of bad for that.

But mostly, I wanted to thank him for being such a great person, the best dad anyone could hope to have, and for showing me how much fun and therapeutic a good catch can be. Thanks dad!

(note: If you watch the follow clip and don't get a little misty-eyed, I don't think we can be friends anymore. And if you haven't seen "Field of Dreams," you may not want to watch this clip yet. You need to go buy the movie ASAP, because it's probably the best movie ever made.)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, I loved this movie! Thanks for sharing.